Community Manager
0 Kudos

Re: Nintendo Switch Game Prices Are Anti-Consumer - Explanation is Needed

kerenchandran wrote:
@BBYTerence Can you please confirm? Don't want to miss out.

The 20% discount via the E3 promo code will apply to whatever the retail price ends up being.

For example, if one uses their 20% discount code and pre-orders something with a current placeholder price of $99.99, but the product's final retail price ends up being $79.99 at launch, then that person would get 20% off the $79.99 price.

I have no information whatsoever about pricing, so I cannot speak to that, but the E3 20% discount promo code will apply to whatever the retail price ends up being.

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator

Plug-in | Join the conversation

Community Manager
0 Kudos

Amazing wrote:
Actually I think the 20% discount will apply to the new price when it changes.

Yes, @Amazing. You are correct.

The 20% discount via the E3 promo code will apply to whatever the retail price ends up being.

For example, if one uses their 20% discount code and pre-orders something with a current placeholder price of $99.99, but the product's final retail price ends up being $79.99 at launch, then that person would get 20% off the $79.99 price.

I have no information whatsoever about pricing, so I cannot speak to that, but the E3 20% discount promo code will apply to whatever the retail price ends up being.

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator

Plug-in | Join the conversation

Pioneer
0 Kudos

Appreciate the reply, @BBYTerence.

Could you please raise our concerns with someone who does handle pricing? As I've noted before, it's anti-consumer to expect us to pre-order at $20 above the MSRP + conversion rate.

Furthermore, can we confirm that these Switch games have an MSRP of $59USD? That is, after all, what they're all priced at on the US websites. I see no reason for the $20 markup.

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

I believe your request for explanation should be thrown at Nintendo and not BestBuy. Ultimately, Nintendo will be defining the MSRP and BBYC and other retailers will have to match. So Nintendo has the final words on this...
Legendary Epic Genius

So, I don't like the new prices either, but I simply choose not to buy them on release.

Within 2-3 mos or less they almost all drop 50% or more.

Maybe not a solution if you are a hard core gamer, but that would send Nintendo a message.

Epic Genius
0 Kudos

@SonicBoom  You do realize how rare it is for Nintendo games to actually price drop?  That strategy only works for stuff from other companies.

"I come from the net. Through systems, peoples and cities to this place: Canada."
Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

Yes, I realized after I typed this that this is under the Nintendo thread.

There are some titles that do drop for Nintendo (after years) but by and large Nintendo is a pretty expensive system to own because of the games.  I am more of a PS gamer myself.

Luminary
0 Kudos

$99 is a lot of $$$ for a game, its ridiculous, 79.99 is bad enough...after tax on a $99 we are looking at around $110...crazy Smiley Sad...I cant afford a lot of the new games and will wait for price drop/sales

Luminary
0 Kudos

In all reality the only reason the price is ridiculous right now is because it is not equivalent exchange with the American prices. When you think about gaming is actually probably too cheap right now and $99 is probably more in line with how much games *should* be costing. Game prices haven't really gone up that much over the years (in fact they've gone down) while the work that goes into them has increased exponentially.

The Captain
0 Kudos

R_Longshaft wrote:

In all reality the only reason the price is ridiculous right now is because it is not equivalent exchange with the American prices. When you think about gaming is actually probably too cheap right now and $99 is probably more in line with how much games *should* be costing. Game prices haven't really gone up that much over the years (in fact they've gone down) while the work that goes into them has increased exponentially.

I think $60 USD is the sweet spot, increase it and risk decreasing sales and overall profit.